Thursday, June 3, 2010

Happy First Birthday

I can't believe how quickly Ivy's first birthday has come around. It seems like only yesterday that she looked like this ...........

And all of a sudden the puppy has morphed into this ............




I decided on a very feminine theme for her birthday cakes, after all with hobbies that include excavating, gardening, swimming, ball chasing and sheep stalking through the fence, she is such a beautifully groomed 'girlie dog'.

This was part of her cupcake tree - unfortunately some doggie taste testing had already taken place before I thought about photographing it. But if you squint a bit and tilt your head you won't notice that there are actually a few cakes missing.

She didn't get to eat the icing, as Border Collies and sugar are not really that good a mix, but it didn't effect how quickly her cake disappeared anyway.
Looking back on her training I am very happy with where she is at 12 months. My main goal was to have what GD calls 'really brilliant circles' by now - I'm not sure if I would describe them as brilliant just yet especially by his standards, but they are pretty close.
Her toy drive is outstanding - she will tug with absolutely anything I present, any time and anywhere, which was also pretty high on the goal list. She has a very solid stay, thanks to crate games and also what I would call a good 'off/on switch.' We have done a few Susan Salo jump bump grids, although not to excess, and I am also very pleased with her work on these. At the moment I am working on her end position for contacts on a travel board and on the end of an extremely lowered A Frame (the wonders of a long length of chain !) and next month I will start weave training with her.
I love working with this gorgeous girl so much and I am so very grateful that her breeder decided to take a chance on sending her so far away to me. So Happy Birthday sweet Ivy and may you stay just as driven to work as you are right now for the next 12 months ! I have lots of new things in store for you over the next few months.

1 comment:

  1. HAppy Birthday to 'Smokin Ivy".

    Auntie Trish And Galpal Sassy...

    ReplyDelete