Thursday, August 13, 2009

Settling In

Ivy is now 10 weeks old and has settled into her new life very well. She has taken all new experiences in her stride and loves to explore her 'back yard'. When I reflect on her first week by filling in her training diary, I am surprised at the amount of training we have actually done - all under the 'umbrella of play.' And so a quick update in photos.

She has caught on very quickly to the idea that sitting with eye contact will get you what you want - within reason of course. (Pity it doesn't work for me in staff meetings!) We also have the beginnings of a stay and wait for release. (Very handy for taking photos, what beautiful girl doesn't love to pose for the camera- although I need to be quick as we're not pushing this stay thing just yet!)She has been to agility training and passed around from person to person before class. She has also been to the Obedience Club - where I have been 'absent' for about 2 years. It was good to see that many of the same instructors are still there as I guess we will be starting Puppy class shortly. She hasn't been near any of my agility equipment yet and probably won't for at least some time. (That fence in the background is very handy!) She has run up and down the ramp in the dog run though - and very confidently at that.

Play has been the main feature of the week. She loves to tug and even tugged with me on the stainless steel table at the vets. She also has the 'kelpie like quality' of being attracted to toys that won't fit in my pocket - the basketball is a new favourite.

And don't let the innocent look fool you - this one knows what she wants and intends to get it one way or another.
Steak and cheese are definitely the favourites in the food department - she was a bit slow coming the first time I called her away from the kelpies until she realised that there was actually cheese involved. Cheese is now the mainstay of her recall under distraction - she would just about sell her soul for a tiny piece of cheese.
Tomorrow night she has a 'playdate' with Zee after the kelpie's agility training - so those recalls will be getting a good workout.
I am so worried about doing the right thing with her training and not messing her up - but this 'paralysis by analysis' is not helpful so I figure that many times I just need to go with the flow. If the emphasis is on play then I can't mess up - can I???


No comments:

Post a Comment